Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Okay, so the verdict is we have termites. =( It's not so bad. It's not an infestation and we don't have crumbling walls and beams ... yet. But we definitely need to get this problem treated ... soon. Anyway, we had a pest control specialist come out to assess the situation and to give us recommendations. He basically outlined two options for us. The first is to do a total fumigation. The cost would be about $1,900. It would also mean we would have to bag all our food, medicine, make-up and anything that could be contaminated. Then they would tent our home and we would have to vacate for 3 days and 2 nights. After that, they gas up the house and make sure they get rid of all the termites. This comes with a 7 year guarantee.

The second option is the orange oil treatment. It is a natural product that they inject into the wooded parts of the house. We don't need to move out nor do we need to bag anything up. Cost is $1,500 but the duration is only 14 days (until the oil dissipates). They offer a 2 year guarantee to come back if the problem comes back.

We have two other pest control companies coming over today and tomorrow. I want to see if everyone has the same assessment and be able to compare prices. Then, I guess it will be time to decide what to do. My gut feel is telling me to do the more radical treatment (total fumigation) so that we really eliminate the problem. But I'm not so sure how I feel about poisonous gas in our home. I am doing some research on the internet for additional back-up.

Anyway, we'll probably know in the next day or so. I am hoping we can get this done over the 3-day Independence Day weekend. Crossing my fingers that it all works out!


joyeee said...

Never had to deal with the problem here!:) But based on the 2 options, I would have to go with the first as well. In terms of price difference, its not like its double compared with the organic thingy. But in terms of effect, it has a 7 year guarantee compared with the 2 year guarantee of the organic thingy. It does sound drastic with you moving out of the house and the worry that you might get in contact with the poisionous gas... but maybe instead of packing and staying away for 3 days- maybe to be safe do it for a week.

Do listen to the advice of the other pest control companies. But do treat this problem asap rather than delaying and regretting it in the end.

Hope everything works out well!!!

Auntie Lillian said...

Hi Joanne, I do agree that its best to get second or third opinions. Joy is right - the first option seems to be a better deal in terms of guarantee and for the price offered. Good luck !

Junarakasa said...

Hi Joy and Auntie Lillian: yup, looks like we are going for the total fumigation. =)