Sunday, October 28, 2018

Allie's Arrival

Yesterday (October 27th, Manila time), my niece, Allie was born. She is the daughter of my brother, Jules, and his wife, Juliene. We have been waiting for her arrival for quite some time now and seeing their first family picture brought me an emotional realization. Although I've been shopping for baby clothes for Allie, I've sent Juliene lotions for stretch marks, and I've been giving them parenting advice, it was seeing the photo of their three happy faces that made everything so real. I think it was seeing my brother's face right next to his new daughter that made me realize - he's a dad! And now I'm all sentimental.

Jules is three years younger than me. That makes him 40 years old! He is hardly a kid anymore. But, for me, he will forever be my kid brother. The one I laugh and joke with, the one I call silly names (Julsie Pogs, Pyugi), the one who I am protective towards, and the one I always feel I need to look out for. It's just a little bit surreal to see him married and now become a father as well. It's surreal but in a good kind of way.

I wish him the very best. Parenthood is an amazing journey and he is in for quite a ride. I know he'll do great. He and Juliene will be fantastic parents. Allie is lucky to have them. But I know too, that along the way, if he needs me, I'm still going to be there for Jules. And that now goes for his family as well. I'll still be there for my kid brother, after all, a big sister's job is never done =)

No comments: