Saturday, February 09, 2019

Menudo

Today I made menudo, a dish from my childhood. I’ve eaten it countless times growing up. In our house, it was not a special dish that was served at parties. Instead it was an everyday dish that my mom or the maids would prepare for regular days. Just simple comfort food.

FYI, Filipino menudo is very different from Mexican menudo. But mine is not quite the Pinoy version either. For my take on menudo, I skipped the atay (I hate liver), omitted raisins (Jamie hates raisins), didn’t add potatoes (we had none in the pantry), added green peas (cause the dish looked way too red), and used sausage instead of hotdogs.

It looks close enough and still tastes like home. While eating it, it made me homesick for the fun family meals we had back home. 😢😢😢 Missing my dad, mom, my brothers and sisters, and the many friends always present, gathered around our giant dining table. It’s amazing how the taste and smell of a dish can bring you home. ❤️❤️❤️

No comments: