Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Few of My Favorite Things

One of my favorite movies, "The Sound of Music", shows a scene where Maria, the governess, (played by the ever talented Julie Andrews) comforts the Von Trapp children during a thunderstorm with a song called "My Favorite Things". The song claims that when feeling sad, simply remembering one's favorite things makes one feel glad.

Well, I'm having one of "those days" right now and maybe it'll help if I list my favorite things ...

Family and friends; classic pearl jewelry; scented bath gels; crisp and clean sheets; Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea Cologne; good books; feel-good movies; yard sales and Farmer's markets; Asian art; Fall foliage; scenic drives; slingback shoes; flipflops; Crate and Barrel decor; entertaining at home; scented candles; decorating our home; channel surfing; weekend trips; satchel-style bags; going out for dinner; rainy days; manicures; massages; sleeping in; Friday nights; blogging; chandelier earrings; crystal and bead jewelry; browsing at bookstores; sleepovers; store sales; spicy food; iced lattes, chai tea; dimsum; Jack & Jill BBQ Chippy; pesto pasta; Thai and Indian curries; my mom's homecooking; French onion soup. . . . .

I guess it does sort of work.

"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad."

4 comments:

jol said...

A better way for me to relieve my sadness is to recall the short story of the little boy who cried because he had no shoes until he saw another boy who had no feet. Another way is to share your sadness with your friends and you will be soon see this halved. Do not allow sadness to occupy you; there are more pleasant things to do.

Sareet said...

Hope you are feeling better!

The Sound of Music, btw, is one of my very very favorite movies as a kid - I can almost quote the entire movie from memory!

sonny said...

"Sound of Music" is one of my all time favorite movie. I remember the first time my aunt lent us her Betamax Machine, that is the movie we first watched! You are never really out of touch with your family with modern technology.

Joanne said...

Thanks Pop-choo!

Sareet, Consay - 90% of the people I know love this movie and the other 10%, well, at least have nothing bad to say about it! :) I'm surprised (and glad) there hasn't been a remake.