Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight Saving Time

Yesterday we had to spring our clocks forward an hour because of daylight saving time. You would think that moving time forward by one hour would not make a huge difference. But it does! Especially when it means losing one hour of my precious weekend. After a grueling 5-day workweek, I look forward to my weekends – all 48 hours of it (not counting Friday night). A 47-hour weekend just does not cut it and makes me feel slightly short-changed. Why don’t they ever schedule switching to and from daylight saving time during the workweek? Say Monday morning? It would be great to come in at 9:00 AM and then find that it is actually already 10:00 AM and we get to skip our weekly staff meeting. (Although we would then to be stuck with an extra hour at work when we turn back time in October).

Last night, we went to bed at around 11:00 but my mind kept telling me it was only 10:00. My mind likes to screw with me that way. So even if I put in a full day and was actually tired, my brain kept me up based on that 1-hour technicality. It was so frustrating. I tried reading, watching TV, praying, deep breathing, nothing worked. And of course the more restless you are, the more your mind races, the more you panic about being awake, the harder it becomes to fall asleep. Finally after tossing and turning and fighting off the urge to take a sleeping pill, I caved and took a Sonata. I finally dozed off around 1:00 (technically midnight). Of course waking up this morning was another story. Monday mornings are always tough but when the alarm went off at 6:45, it was especially torturous since my mind was screaming “it’s only 5:45 in the morning”. I was pretty out of it this morning, which is the case when I get less than 8 hours of sleep, plus I was slightly groggy cause of the sleeping pill. This jet-lagged feeling was definitely not a great way to start the week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It normally is easier to adopt to time adjustments during the weekend. If the one hour means so much to you, you can probably make the adjustments during office hours on Friday.

Anonymous said...

滿........................