Friday, July 09, 2010

What's up?!

Here we go again ... I am now going to go through my apologies as to why I have been delinquent in updating my blog. It has been a really busy last two weeks. I'm not quite sure where the time goes ... it just sort of flies by that I often find myself feeling guilty that with all the things I get done, I have not found time to post. Oh well.

What's new with me? Well, several things actually. There are too many things going through my head so I will simply list them here as they pop into my mind - this list is by no means sequential nor is it by any order of importance.

1.) Jojo has a new job! I am so excited and happy for him. It's a better job (title, pay and commute-wise). He is now the brand new VP of IT. Cool, huh? He is a bit sad to leave his current position but he is excited to start this new adventure as well. I am hoping everything goes well. I am extremely proud of my hubby and know he will keep doing great things.

2.) We bought a new car. The sad part is we sold my reliable Rav-4 which I have had for over 6 years. That car has served me well and was part of many wonderful trips and memories. But sadly, as most things in life, it was time for a change (or rather an upgrade!). I am loving our new car - it's cooler, more luxurious, and definitely worth every penny! =) The new car is actually Jojo's birthday present - but of course, I get to drive it once in a while too =)

3.) My best friend, Gail, and her family (hubby, Clay, and her three kids, Sean, Jake and Kayla) are staying with us on and off for the next three weeks. It's been great. I like seeing the Imoo family as they remind me of what a happy, loving and active family is. I truly admire the way Gail and Clay raise their kids - they are all smart, inquisitive and well-adjusted. Also, it's great to catch up with Gail. We have known each other since we were 12 and have not always been physically together (since she migrated to Canada right after 6th grade). But through the years, we have managed to keep the friendship. Even if we see each other probably every two years, when we do get together, we just pick up pretty much where we left off. It's really nice to have that with someone.

4.) Speaking of long-time friends, we are planning a mini high school reunion with some former classmates living in the west coast. I am excited. We have friends flying in from Houston, Seattle and Sacramento and then there are 5 of us living in Southern California. It'll be nice to catch up and meet each others' families. I can't wait till the weekend of the 25th!

5.) We finally decided to get our home fumigated. And some remodeling and repainting too. We'll be spending a three-day weekend with my sister-in-law while our home gets beautified. I am thinking of it as a mini-vacation of sorts!

6.) Yesterday was graduation at our campus. It was a simple but festive affair. I actually got quite emotional seeing the students I have been working with these last 3 months, walk across the stage to receive their diplomas. I felt super proud (I am not quite sure why!). After the event, several students introduced me to their parents, wives, kids, etc and gave me credit for helping them with their career goals or with finding a job. I received praise and thanks (and even a big hug from a grateful mother-in-law). It was really heartwarming and I was really extra touched. Again, I am loving my job because it allows me to have moments like this and gives me the chance to help change lives.

7.) I got an unexpected text last night from a friend I have not heard from in a long time. (Hey M! You know who you are!!!). She wrote to tell me she read my blog and came across my last post regarding donating blood and she was inspired to do so herself. She (like me) has also experienced how the kindness of others (blood donations from volunteers) saved the life of a loved one. So she knows exactly what it means to have to give back. I was so happy to get her text and her extra long message ... and thrilled too that my "blog" managed to inspire her to do something good. Who would have thought that my mundane ramblings had the power to inspire? =)

8.) Spent 4th of July weekend doing things I enjoyed. Friday night was girl's night out (all my sisters-in-law and I - that's 6 of us!) watched Eclipse. It felt great to have an all-female bonding session. Of course we all love our husbands but once in a while, you just need to have your share of girl talk! On Sunday, we picnicked with the entire family in Veterans Park (and played volleyball and flew kites). Then Jojo and I spent the last day just lazing around at home (I got to read!). Perfect weekend for me!

Hmmm ... what else? I am now drawing a blank. And will have to pick this up again ... I am sure I am forgetting something ... and whatever it is I will have to share it at another time because right now Jojo is calling me to watch a DVD.

Till next time!

7 comments:

joyeee said...

dets, your blog really is inspiring! and you really have a gift in writing:) i am amazed and in awe at how you express yourself so beautifully and clearly... and at times, I even feel as if I am part of the story you are sharing! Keep it up! I'm sure you've inspired a lot of people already!!! also......a few comments:
- congrats to jojo on his new job at...(toot)
- cant wait to try the new car when i get there...will u guys allow me to test drive it?! haha
- hello to gail and family! not sure if she remembers me though!:)
- i can imagine you organizing and hosting the mini reunion!!! im sure you're going to think of cool and fun games again!!!
- its good that you finally decided to have the house fumigated. delaying it wont do anything! and yes, always look at the bright side- having the house cleaned and taking part in the "mini- vacation"
- You've done a really amazing job at helping these students. I'm sure they're greatful for all your help!!!
- Who sent this mystery text?

***From my lenghty comment- it goes to show that I really read each and every point you made in your blog!!! I look forward to it weekly!***

joyeee said...

dets, your blog really is inspiring! and you really have a gift in writing:) i am amazed and in awe at how you express yourself so beautifully and clearly... and at times, I even feel as if I am part of the story you are sharing! Keep it up! I'm sure you've inspired a lot of people already!!! also......a few comments:
- congrats to jojo on his new job at...(toot)
- cant wait to try the new car when i get there...will u guys allow me to test drive it?! haha
- hello to gail and family! not sure if she remembers me though!:)
- i can imagine you organizing and hosting the mini reunion!!! im sure you're going to think of cool and fun games again!!!
- its good that you finally decided to have the house fumigated. delaying it wont do anything! and yes, always look at the bright side- having the house cleaned and taking part in the "mini- vacation"
- You've done a really amazing job at helping these students. I'm sure they're greatful for all your help!!!
- Who sent this mystery text?

***From my lenghty comment- it goes to show that I really read each and every point you made in your blog!!! I look forward to it weekly!***

joyeee said...

sorry, i dont know why my message doubled... and i cant seem to erase it too!:) hahaha

Auntie Lillian said...

Joanne - you and Jojo have been really busy so your absence in blogging is officially forgiven ( haha ). Congratulations to Jojo on his new job and the new car ( what kind ?) . Enjoy your friend Gale and her family while they are there with you. I guess the feeling of satisfaction and pride you get from the students proves that you are doing a good job !! Keep it up but also enjoy each day as it comes.

leslie ty said...

so happy to get an update from you...i believe you when you said that you were busy and so many things happened =)

SUPER congrats to Jojo for the new job and the new car =)

i saw some pics of the IMOO family in california...i think they are having a blast with you and jojo =) the kids are sooooo cute =)

have a great 3 day weekend with your sis in law...while your house is getting fumigated...the many blessings in life...imagine you don't need to spend 2 nights in a hotel =)

can't wait for more updates Jo =)

Junarakasa said...

@Joybee - the mystery text was sent by my friend, Melanie. She's Tracy's best friend in HS and she used to live in LA din. She moved to SF around 3 years ago and I haven't heard from her till her text a few days ago =)

@Hi Auntie Lillian - we got a Toyota Venza. And we are absolutely loving it! =)

@Hi Les - saw your Taiwan pics too. Looked like a lot of fun! Can't wait to go on food trips with you guys again =)

leslie ty said...

Jo...wish we can go to taiwan...you guys will enjoy the food too =) but nothing beats HK pa rin =)