Monday, January 28, 2019

Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford

Just finished Jamie Ford's book, "Love and Other Consolation Prizes".  I enjoyed the book and found the premise very interesting.  The book explored many topics that caused much controversy during the period the story was told.  Mixed marriages, biracial children, slavery, brothels and prostitution ... to name a few.  But the book also explored universal values like hope, selflessness, hard work, and true love that transcends such negativity in the world. 

Overall, I liked the book and thought Jamie Ford wrote with such a clarity that I could almost picture the characters in various scenes.  The book did have some slow parts (causing me to flip forward a few pages just to speed things up).  I have a tendency to do that, but somehow, force myself to go back and re-read what I skipped over.  I always worry I missed a significant detail or an important arc in the story.  The book (without giving away spoilers) had a nice ending that allowed readers who were invested in the story to find some closure when the story "ended".  I liked how Mr. Ford wrapped things up for the main characters without making anything seem cliche. 

I'd rate this book an 8 out of 10.  It is definitely a very pleasant read and a good novel that captured my attention.  I would recommend it to those who like historical fiction and to those who enjoy stories where the hero/heroine experience hardships in life, but with traits like faithfulness and love, find themselves in much better circumstances in the end.



P.S. My first attempt at a brief book review.  It's surprising how I've never donoe this before considering how much I read and how I often I used to blog.  Maybe there'll be more of this in th future ... who knows?

No comments: