Saturday, September 26, 2009

For All the Women Out There ...

Someone sent this to me the other day. I don't normally read mass emails and am very unlikely to re-send them. But I found this so profoundly true that I just had to react to it.

I've re-posted it below. (My comments are in italics).

For all the women out there ... keep this in mind!


A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ...


1. Enough money of her own to move out and rent a place for herself even if she never wants to or needs to... (CHECK. One thing both my parents told me is that I should always have money of my own – and Jojo respects that. We have three active accounts: Our joint checking account, our joint savings account and my own savings account).
2. Something perfect to wear if the employer, or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour... (CHECK to the work outfit as for a date outfit … hmmm … I guess … if it still fits ... ).
3. A youth she's content to leave behind.... (CHECK. I had a great childhood that has helped me become who I am today).
4. A past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age.... (Not so sure how juicy it was but certainly nothing that I am too embarrassed to talk about).
5. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra... (CHECK. CHECK. CHECK. Believe it or not, I actually purchased the bra last!).
6. One friend who always makes her laugh.. and one who lets her cry... (CHECK and CHECK. I’m lucky to have more than one each).
7. A good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family... (CHECK).
8. Eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal, that will make her guests feel honored...(CHECK – I’ve thrown a couple of successful dinner parties that I can brag about!).
9. A feeling of control over her destiny… (CHECK)
10. Dreams she has accomplished and dreams she is working towards (CHECK and CHECK. My “dreams-to-do” list is always a work in progress).


EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...

1. How to fall in love without losing herself...(It helps if you have the right guy to fall in love with!).
2. How to quit a job, break up with a lover, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship...(I’ve done all three and have lived to tell the tale!).
3. When to try harder... and when to walk away ... (it’s a fine, fine line).
4. That she can't change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents…(or that she can’t change others, only her self!)
5. That her childhood may not have been perfect...but it's over...
6. What she would and wouldn't do for love or more... (Again, another one, wherein the distinction is not always clear).
7. How to live alone... even if she doesn't like it... (I lived alone … it had it’s good points but honestly I didn’t like it very much … but I definitely grew up as a result of doing it!).
8. Whom she can trust, whom she can't, and why she shouldn't take it personally... (I think this is a lifelong lesson).
9. Where to go... be it to her best friend's kitchen table.. or a charming Inn in the woods.... when her soul needs soothing... (I can think of several places I would consider my haven).
10. What she can and can't accomplish in a day... a month...and a year... (Am still working on this one!)

3 comments:

Auntie Alice said...

Very well said and indeed true and sensible. I agree to every word of it.

leslie ty said...

there are a lot of things I still don't know... =)

Junarakasa said...

Hi Auntie Alice =)

Hey Les, not to worry! I am sure you have most of the important items checked off ... and the rest you will eventually get to do too =)