Monday, June 22, 2009

To Switch or Not To Switch

Jojo has been asking me lately if I want a Kindle. For those of you that don’t know what a Kindle is … it is a wireless reading device that allows you to read books, magazines and newspapers right at the palm of your hand. Since I LOVE to read, Jojo thinks this makes the perfect gift for me. Especially since I can go through an entire book in a couple of hours and am always on the lookout for new books to read. Also because I don't have that much space to house my growing collection.
This is what a Kindle looks like:
Why switching to a Kindle makes sense:
• It is 1/3 of an inch thick (almost as thin as most magazines) and is small at 8” x 5.3”.
• It is very light (10.2 ounces) so I can take it anywhere.
• It is wireless and allows you to download books anytime and anywhere.
• No monthly fees or service plans.
• Books can be delivered in less than 60 seconds.
• The screen reads like paper and text can be adjusted to become larger or smaller.
• Long battery life (you can read for days without recharging).
• Holds over 1,500 books at a time. You can delete books and add books anytime.
• There is a large selection of books to choose from. Over 285,000 and counting.
• Has a new text-to-speech feature which means it can read aloud to you.
• It can hold a whole library of books in one device (think of all the space I would be saving!).

But switching is not that simple:
• Aside from just “reading” what I love most is browsing bookstores and shopping for books.
• I like holding a new book in my hands and running my fingers across the pages.
• I like the smell of a new book. I love breathing in the smell of printed paper.
• I like the feel of holding the page corners between my fingers as I turn the page.
• Sometimes I like to highlight a good line or a good idea.
• I like having my books on display and seeing the colors and the artwork on bookcovers.
• I like the lightweight feel of paperbacks and the heaviness of a hardcover on my hands.
• I like my copies of long time favorites dog-eared and creased from being read too many times.
• I like receiving them from family and friends.
• And I also like being able to share a good book with someone who I think would enjoy it too.

I am so torn between switching to a modern, sleek and high-tech Kindle and leaving the familiarity, comfort and reliability of having actual books. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

leslie Ty said...

hmm... why don't you try the Kindle first...you might like the NEW comfort it can give you =) imagine having a mini library in the kindle! =)

meme co said...

hi jo! the Kindle looks like a great invention for voracious readers! i would go for it esp if you dont want clutter in your home...i think if my mom hears about Kindle she would ask me to get one as i continue to leave my books lying around!=) but then again, nothing beats the real thing!=)

Jojo_LYF said...

Just give the word that you want it, and I'll order it.

I know you will miss the smell of a new book or the turning of the page, but the kindle is a device that you can take anywhere, you can bookmark where you stopped without creasing the page and you can make it a reference, if you need to find something.

Junarakasa said...

Les, inspite of all the good things about it ... I think I'm still "traditional-at-heart". =)

Meme, so nice to hear from you. Thanks for your comment. Sige, come here and we'll get you the Kindle nalang. And you can definitely have my shrimp scampi recipe too =)

Hon, thank you again for offering to get the Kindle for me. I will pass on it this time ... can I ask for something else instead? =)

joyeee said...

Hey dets,

I remember you wanted this so badly ever since before...but I also know how much you like reading books. (remember in Manila we keep buying those romance novel books that I keep borrowing and how you'd try to keep those books neat and clean as possible with no folds...haha) I think you could do without the Kindle. But it's up to you! :)

leslie ty said...

aww....so no Kindle for now? Is that the final decision? =)